Permanent residents of Canada have acquired resident status by lawfully immigrating to Canada, but are not yet considered Canadian citizens. Though they continue to be citizens of their home country, as permanent residents, they also have rights and privileges in Canada and must fulfill specific residency obligations to maintain their permanent resident status.
As a permanent resident, you and your dependants have the following rights:
- The right to receive most of the same social benefits Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage
- The right to work or study anywhere in Canada
- The right to apply for Canadian citizenship
- The right to protection under Canadian Law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
As a permanent resident, you must also pay taxes and obey all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.
As a permanent resident, you are not permitted to engage in the following activities:
- Vote or run for political office
- Hold certain jobs that require a high-level of security clearance
- Remain in Canada should you be convicted of a serious criminal offence, be found to be inadmissible in Canada and subject to a and have a removal order to leave the country.
It is also important to keep in mind that while permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, there is a maximum amount of time you are permitted to live outside the country. To maintain your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for a minimum of two years within a five-year period. It is a good idea to gauge and monitor your absences from Canada, especially when you have to renew your PR card.
There are many advantages to living in this beautiful country of ours.
NLC Lawyers would be happy to advise whether you are eligible for permanent residency and if so, we can help walk you through the process. Contact our permanent residency lawyers today for more information.
Immigration Law Services by NLC Lawyers Include: PERMANENT RESIDENCY | Humanitarian And Compassionate | Designated Foreign Nationals | Removal Orders | Business Application | Stay Of Deportation Orders | Detention Review | Refugee Claim | Division And Federal Appeals | Family Sponsorships | Fast Track Law
Speak to our Lawyers today!
Call (416) 917-3255