Theft charges are classified as either Theft Under $5,000, or Theft Over $5,000. The charge will be dependent upon the amount alleged to have been stolen.
Theft charges generally involve retail theft, including shoplifting, price-switching, and breach of trust; however, it can also involve large scale thefts involving vehicles or construction equipment.
Depending on the circumstance of the charge, there are certain defence tactics that are available to an individual who has been charged with theft. If you have been charged with theft, there are important areas which will require clarification:
- Circumstances surrounding the charge
- The strength of the case made against you
- The monetary (or otherwise) value of the alleged theft
- Witnesses to the alleged crime
- If you have made any statements to the police o or signed any documents
- The outcome you would like to achieve (an acquittal, avoiding jail time, avoiding a criminal record, etc.)
If you have been charged with an offence of theft, NLC Lawyers can help you determine what defences are available to you, and provide legal counsel to help you navigate through the process and achieve the best possible outcome.